University of Iowa Hosts Virtual Reception for Bright Scholars
2020 Scholarship Recipients Recognized at Virtual Event
On October 22, 2020, recipients of the Bright Scholars of Iowa award and Lois Dale Bright Scholarship gathered virtually with representatives of the Bright Foundation and the University of Iowa to recognize the 2020 recipients, which include:
- Abdifatah Abduallhi – Lois Dale Bright Scholarship
- Jordan Anderson – Bright Scholars of Iowa
- Jaden Blakeman – Lois Dale Bright Scholarship
- Hope Hjelmeland – Bright Scholars of Iowa
- Kathy Le – Lois Dale Bright Scholarship
- Abdullahi Mohamed – Lois Dale Bright Scholarship
- Reagan Pellet – Bright Scholars of Iowa
- Faith Surface – Bright Scholars of Iowa
- Jaiden Utech – Bright Scholars of Iowa
Prior to the event, the University of Iowa Center for Advancement distributed an “Event in a Box” to all scholars with a Bright Scholar cookie, in lieu of the usual afternoon snack at in-person receptions. Also included in the box were Bright Scholar t‑shirts from the Bright Foundation for all scholars and the 2020 cohort recipients received their medallions, display boards, and Bright Story books.
The virtual format proved to be a fun way to make connections among the scholars with a lot of advice sharing and scholar-led planning to gather in socially distanced ways in the future. The format also provided a unique way for scholars and University of Iowa staff to share their appreciation to the Bright Foundation, which was a surprise to Executive Director Meredith Dohmen and Board President Tom Press who attended the event.