Virtual Reception Held for Bright Scholars at ISU
2020 Scholarship Recipients Recognized
On October 20, 2020, a virtual reception was held with all the Iowa State University Bright Scholars of Iowa and Lois Dale Bright Scholars to recognize the newest recipients of both awards.
The 2020 recipients include:
- Kalpes Bhandari – Lois Dale Bright Scholarship
- Butoyi Charlotte – Lois Dale Bright Scholarship
- Vanessa Cruz Escobar – Lois Dale Bright Scholarship
- Akpobari Godpower – Lois Dale Bright Scholarship
- Adam Harris – Bright Scholars of Iowa
- Alexander Hassan – Bright Scholars of Iowa
- Elyse Hiskey – Lois Dale Bright Scholarship
- Leslie Hoang – Lois Dale Bright Scholarship
- Bariture Ibaakee – Lois Dale Bright Scholarship
- Farrah Lewis – Bright Scholars of Iowa
- Emily Nguyen – Bright Scholars of Iowa
- Osman Ortiz-Rivera – Lois Dale Bright Scholarship
- Whitney Winter – Bright Scholars of Iowa
During the event, Erin Schwartz with ISU’s Office of Student Financial Aid welcomed everyone and shared a recorded greeting from ISU President Dr. Wendy Wintersteen. ISU Senior Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Toyia Younger got the group energized with her remarks about getting involved on campus and pursuing their goals. Tom Press, Bright Foundation Board President and Managing Director shared more about the Brights and the Foundation’s goals for students. A video message from returning scholar Autumn Gannon highlighted the opportunities the scholarship provides. Meredith Dohmen, Bright Foundation Executive Director then recognized each new scholar and they continued the involvement theme by sharing some of the things they each hope to do during their time at ISU.
Bright Scholars T‑shirts were distributed to all scholars in advance of the reception along with medallions and story books for the new recipients. With over 50 scholars currently at Iowa State University, the virtual format proved to be a great opportunity to begin making connections as it was the first time all scholars from both programs gathered together.